Monday, March 21, 2011

DIY Mason Jar Terrarium


Two things I love: mason jars and terrariums.

I had a little extra time on my hands at work last Saturday. I got inspired to do something crafty, with plants of course. I looked around to see what I had to work with. I eyed some mason jars that were staring at me from the shelf. I grabbed one and knew exactly what I wanted to do. I was pretty lucky, all the materials I needed were just laying around and it took about 5 minutes to make.


Items I found and used:
Mason Jar
Wire
Media
Small pebbles found under the counter
2 little succulents-pulled from beds outside
Moss-picked up outside (thank you rain)
Pliers 
Spoon
Fork

You can easily find items in and around your house that can make an easy and quick terrarium. Old jars, containers, even wine or margarita glasses. Walk into your front or back yard and I'm sure you will find what you need to put inside your terrarium. Pebbles, soil, moss, twigs....get creative, experiment, have a blast!




The perfect touch to a garden, a porch, a table top, a windowsill, an outdoor or indoor dinner party...whatever your heart desires!


 My boss decided we will see how this little guy holds up the next couple of weeks. It will be a trial to see if we should make more and sell them at the shop next quarter. I'm all about it...naturally.

3 comments:

Jarah said...

oh, i am going to have to try this. love me some mason jars! such a great idea... thank you for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

How did they hold up? Will u be putting the lids on them at some point?

wabisabi-homesteader said...

As a gardener I have tried this many times but must be doing something wrong. I think it must be plant selection since many plants do not like "wet feet" and require drainage. Perhaps the addition of more media at the bottom under the dirt would help? Also if I put lids on them, they always die from mold related diseases. I hope yours turned out better than mine!