Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Happy Thankful Thursday to you!

When people learn that I have a degree in Horticulture
I always get the same 2 questions...
"What's that?"
and 
"So how exactly did you get into that?"

My response is always something along the lines of...
I've always loved plants and being outside.
Which is very true.
But this summer I've actually been asking myself
how did I really get into it,
when and where did this all happen?

Well today,
I am thankful for this place.


Because this is where it happened.
This is where I fell in love with plants.
Right here at this very lake.

Long Lake is nestled in the back country of 
the John Muir Wilderness up in the Sierra Nevada's.
I've been hiking back here since I was a little kid
and it just gets more and more gorgeous each time I go.
This has and continues to be my most favorite playground.

As a kid I always loved the landscape
the giant snow covered peaks
the streams and tiny creeks
the moss covered rocks and ground
and all the different wildflowers.
Oh the wildflowers!

(T to B) Erigeron coulteri Coulter's Daisy
Achillea millefolium  Common Yarrow
Linanthus nuttallii Nuttall's Linanthus

But since then,
I've grown to become absolutely fascinated by it all.
How intricate and unique everything was.
I wanted to learn how it all worked,
how it all functioned.

Then some few years later
I found myself at Cal Poly SLO studying 
Environmental Horticulture Science.
Taking an insane amout of science and technical classes.
Classes like Botany
Biology
 Physiology
Chemistry
Pathology
Ecology
 Landscape Design
and even Floral Design.

Most of school was difficult and I didn't really like it.
But put me out in the wilderness
and I was quickly reminded how much I loved plants.
It was worth it.

I am so thankful for all the summer's spent up in the Sierra's.
I am thankful that my parents dragged me along on their hikes
when I was a kid and didn't want to go.
I'm thankful that God used such a unique and amazing place 
{His creation}
to show me where my heart lies 
and what I am passionate about.

Aquilegia formosa Western Columbine

I am thankful that here in this place,
I can find all the wildflowers, trees and shrubs
a horticulturist could only dream of.

Allium validum Swamp Onion

I am thankful that God knew what He was doing 
with me from the very beginning.
I am thankful that He has given me
 a passion for plants,
for the outdoors,
for His creation.

Castilleja spp. Indian Paintbrush

Well, there you have it.
That is exactly how it happened.
Now if you ever want to see a plant geek in their true element
or if you love the outdoors and just want to see some unbelievably breathtaking scenery...
just ask me to take you here.


Lord knows I won't be able to say no.

What are you thankful for this week?...

No comments: